If you are receiving SSI, you are likely getting a small amount from the state’s department of welfare, department of public assistance, or department of human services. To continue getting this amount, you would need to notify them of any changes in income, or changes of rent. You are also required to inform them of moving. In addition, you are required to inform Social Security that you moved as well.

What I Do

I try to not move so often. I been at my new apartment for more than 1 year, but before that – it was 10 years, and before that – it was another 10 years. I am hoping to remain at my current residence until I pass away. However, I informed Social Security and Department of Welfare of the move which was required. In the event that my rent changes, I will inform Department of Welfare by calling the number associated with them.